Making the decision to take the firs step on your weight loss journey can be a hard one – mainly because it’s surrounded with a ton of excuses that keep you in mental jail. This leads to perpetual body image and self-esteem issues. And if there is anything that doesn’t feel good, it’s being in a self-imposed mental jail. And even though this post is focused on weight loss, being in a self-imposed mental jail can result from a ton of things – absent parents, lack of encouragement, bullies -pretty much anything leading up to you saying “I can’t.”

However, we have to know that we have the control. And not because we have control on our own, but the Bible has told us that we are victorious over ALL things. So it doesn’t matter what momma said, daddy said, grandma called you, or even your ex told you. You have the ability to be victorious. It’s up to you to claim your victory. This even means victory over weight issues.

I’m not saying your transformation will come like mine, but I will say that it can come if you remove the excuse and make the decision.

When it comes to taking that first step or even sticking to your program, whatever that may be, there are a ton of self-imposed walls you run into. If any of these sound like you and you’re suffering from a mental jail of not loving all things about yourself, it’s time to make a change. When it comes to weight loss, here are common excuses and my counter:

  • I’d have to give up XXX. No you don’t. You just have to limit how much of it you eat. I was a candy freak. I still eat candy. Just not nearly as much. I eat Burger King maybe weekly – just instead of a whopper junior and larger size fries, I eat a cheeseburger, value size fries, and a diet coke.
  • My mom cooks for me. If you have a job and are in an age range where you are permitted to cook, buy your own food and cook it.
  • My family isn’t going to want to make the changes. Cook one thing for your family and something else for yourself. Or make recipes you can portion off easily and just ensure you’re eating smaller portions and balanced meals.
  • I’ve tried healthy choices and they don’t work. Take a look at what you’re eating. Some things we think are healthy can be very fattening. (i.e. granola, smoothies, etc.) Try only all natural smoothies and even eliminate the yogurt, orange juice, etc.
  • I work my butt off. I’ve learned 80% of weight loss is about what you eat while the other 20%. I get it. After working out you’re super hungry. Have a low-fat snack around to stop that snack attack. I also have a friend who prepares meals at the beginning of the week. This way, when she’s done with her workout, she has food already waiting on her.
  • I don’t have money for a gym. Work out at home. When the weather permits, workout outside. Take a walk, jog, do hills at the local park, find a trail. Get a basketball hoop and play right in your own driveway. No hoop? Simply dribble for a while.
  • I don’t have workout equipment. Use what you have. Turn on some music and just dance. Dancing is a great workout. Plus you can do crunches, push ups, planks, lunges, squats, wall sits, jumping jacks and so much more right at your house. And if you have any workout videos, don’t forget to whip those out as well.
  • I don’t want to mess my hair up. If you have a relaxer and a wrap, tie it up and let it dry before unwrapping it. If you don’t have a relaxer, consider wearing braids or your natural hair texture. Or try putting it into a bun with a headband holding your edges down.
  • I don’t want to offend the people who cooked. Choose what you can off the menu, and respectfully say no to the other things. Maybe even explain why you’re saying no.
  • People bring treats into work all the time. They don’t force you to eat it. Pass it up. If you tell them why, and they still try to encourage you, stay strong. They’ll eventually understand.

Finally, DON’T CONSIDER IT GOING ON A DIET. If you do, expect the weight to return. It’s about healthy choices and a lifestyle change. However, just take it day by day and celebrate the small wins. There is no way I really thought I was going to lose as much as I did. Though, after seeing the success, I was and continued to stay encouraged.

I am in no way form or fashion a health freak. However, I am about making better choices and trying to be the best you possible.

1 thought on “Weight Loss: Self-love & getting past the excuses

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>